Q. What is the cause of widespread muscle twitching and sweaty palms?

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Published on Dec 11, 2017

I am 25 years old. What can be causing me to get widespread muscle twitching (twitches last about five seconds and go away and reoccur in a different muscle minutes or hours after)? Legs and hands get shaky, hands get sweaty, at night I feel like my legs are vibrating and my heart is pounding for no reason. I just noticed my hair is falling out too. I am also getting lots of anxiety, especially at night. I am in good health, I am a little overweight, not too much though. Should I get a blood test?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read through your question and would like to suggest that you should get a number of blood tests done.

The following are the tests that I would suggest.

1. Hemogram which should include your ESR.
  2. Thyroid profile to rule out any endocrinal disorder.
  3. A blood sugar profile.
  4. Liver function tests.
  5. ECG to rule out any cardiac cause to your palpitations.

All these tests are just to reach a proper diagnosis. It is necessary to know whether all these symptoms you are having are due to a pathological cause or physiological.

You said that you have anxiety. Even anxiety alone can be a reason for your symptom complex.

If all these tests come clear we may have to investigate the reason for your muscle twitchings.

I hope I was able to help. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for increased heart rate of my pregnant wife?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 34 weeks pregnant. She has known tachycardia and had an unsuccessful ablation at 11 years old. Around six weeks ago, using pulse oximeter I have at home, I noticed her resting heart rate had dramatically increased. It went from an average of around 100 to around 130 and 140, so...  Read Full »

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now