Q. I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Dr. Aida Quka

About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle twitching/ spasms. Now, these symptoms have mostly left my arms other than occasional slight sensation in my fingers. However, my legs and left foot continue to have this sensation. I do not have any pain other than the sensation and can move normally. However, exerting myself seems to elevate the sensation. I visited my doctor and they ran a complete set of lab work and everything was normal other than slightly low vitamin D. Also scheduled to MRI on the spine to rule out MS. After doing some reading, I think I developed a case of peripheral neuropathy. My question is could this be something else? Is it possible that with rest it will go away? Are there any supplements I could take to help? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

#

I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a peripheral neuropathy.

They could be related to a bulging disc in the cervical vertebral column.

That is why it is necessary to perform a cervical spine MRI study.

MS (multiple sclerosis) would be an exceptional diagnosis at your age.

Vitamin D deficiency may lead to muscle twitching and also joint pain, associated with chronic fatigue.

As it resulted low, it is necessary to take vitamin D supplements.

I would also like to know if you checked vitamin B12 levels and thyroid hormone levels.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can mimic this clinical situation.

Regarding peripheral neuropathy, I would recommend performing a nerve conduction study (electroneurography) to exclude this possibility, although it is really less likely that you suffer from this disorder.

Hope you will find this answer helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|