Q. My ESR is too high. Do you think I have multiple myeloma?

Published on Jul 11, 2018

My ESR is too high that is 25 mm/hr. Granulocytes % is high and lymphocytes % is low. The main thing is the RDW is low. I am having too much body pain and leg pain in my body. Even pain-killers not working at all. Too much pain. I am having trouble to move my arms and legs when I wake up in the morning. Also having difficulty sleeping. No fever. The pain inside of the body. Cough sometime. And pain under the left ribs. Pain around neck, back and shoulder also. Do you think I have multiple myeloma? Because all my symptoms are in favour of multiple myeloma. My question is as ESR is too high is there any kind of cancer in my bodies such as leukemia or lymphoma or bone marrow cancer? Why my pain is not going away after using too many Ibuprofen? Do you want me to go to hematologist or oncologists? Please, how can I overcome from this problem?

Hematology Pathology
#

The chronic whole body pain does not necessarily mean leukemia. Your CBC report is within limits as attached herewith (attachment removed to protect patient identity). For your condition, your physical examination first should be done in the form of liver, spleen and lymph nodes palpation. Check your calcium level as well. Your vitamin D level is slightly low below reference range and for that Cholecalciferol sachet with milk 50000 IU per ml can be prescribed once a week for six weeks.

Check your liver and kidney profiles report as well. High ESR could be from inflammation or infection as well. Check your thyroid status as well by serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) estimation. CT scan like higher investigation can be planned if needed. Serum protein immunofixation electrophoresis will be beneficial to rule out multiple myeloma if needed. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What could be the reason for recurrent fever with high ESR and CRP levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting a fever every day. But, every day the fever occurs and goes to a maximum of 100 degrees, and it gets back to the body temperature without any medications. It is repetitive. I have done a few blood tests and am attaching the reports. I have found out that my CRP and ESR is ver...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely a viral fever only as it settles within four to five days. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are usually elevated due to viral fever or any other fever. As it gets recovered within four to five days without any antibiotics, ...  Read Full

Are the symptoms indicate vasculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51-year-old woman with an eight-month history of: persistent fever. shortness of breath on exertion. suffocation feeling. barking cough, sometimes productive cough with yellow sputum raised resting heart rate. tachycardia and palpitations with mild e...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The manifestations of vasculitis in general are: Weight loss of more than 10% body weight. Aches and pains, fever, and loss of appetite. Mononeuritis. Investigations will reveal high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), positive CRP (C-reactive pro...  Read Full

From my reports are there any preventive measures I should take for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 40-year-old male. I am a vegetarian. I pursue an active lifestyle. I do not smoke or drink. I am a long distance endurance marathon runner. I also strength train three days a week and run two days a week. I got my sugar test, thyroid profile and vitamin D levels checked yesterday...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Everything is perfect except vitamin D level, which seems to be on the borderline and for which I suggest taking Cholecalciferol granules, once weekly for one or two months. Hope it helps. Regards. For more information consult a general practitioner online -->ht...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now