Q. I see blobs of different colors and some shapes in my eyes. What will be the cause?

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I keep seeing blobs of different colors, and my vision can be quite speckly at times, with lots of floaters, and I look at some shapes and still see the outlines elsewhere, my right eye flare-up, and bloodshot some days from the nose corner, out and dissipating towards the color of the eye.

#

Thanks for your query.

Floaters are common in most people, especially if you have a refractive error like myopia or shortsightedness. But you do need to monitor these floaters by getting a dilated retinal check-up every year as sometimes degenerative changes in the retina can cause holes or tears. Depending on the duration of the symptoms you are describing, you see color blobs and have redness of the eyes. Suppose it is of recent onset and associated with pain or a headache occasionally radiating to the head's back. Then the possibility is an inflammation inside the eye called uveitis, or your eye pressure might be high, what we call glaucoma.

If the eye's redness is only occasional, totally painless, then it could just be due to dry eyes. The tear film is composed of three layers. When the film is unstable, it can cause diffraction of light by the tear film's mucous layer into various colors, which is noticeable in bright light.

The after image you describe is also more noticeable when you are in bright sunlight, and when you look into a shadier area and is perfectly normal.

I would suggest you share a photo of the eye when it is bloodshot and use lubricating eye drops in the interim. If your eye is painfully red, you will need to meet an Ophthalmologist to rule out the conditions I mentioned.

|