Q. Is myopia a non curable disease?

Dr. Souhad

Before two years, my eyesight was perfect. But during that time only because of me using phone late night it started declining and now its R= >-2.25, L = >-2.00. I used '>' because I am currently not able to see that clearly with my current glasses. Within the span of three year my eyesight is getting worst I have consulted earliet also.

Doctors say myopia cannot be cured, but it will become stable after a certain age. My concern is within every four to five months my eyesight is getting worse, how should I make it permanent, if not cure it (which it cannot be cured) then how can I make it constant, please suggest through what food, exercise, etc. also I want a very honest answer, given my history as poor eyesight was not a genetic problem as I develop it, later on, tell me honestly is there any remotest possibility of me going blind.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Adolescent myopia is a condition that we come across in ophthalmology, and it is considered physiological, but specific approaches should be maintained and other pathologies to be excluded such as disorders in the macula that might be mimicking myopia. The first step would be to get an optical coherence tomography done to evaluate the thickness of the retina.

Only once that is excluded, then can we think about putting up the diagnosis of myopia for a person who never used spectacles before. Hopefully, it will not be that and only myopia for which you need glasses or correction until it is stable. Every individual has a change rate in refraction differently so every six months you should visit the optometrist and evaluate your refraction and if it does not exceed 0.5D every six months, then there is no need to worry. As a surgical treatment, we as ophthalmologists have sclero strengthening procedures to stabilize the growth of myopia, and you can discuss them with your ophthalmologist. You will not go blind, do not worry.

| 

Can you please tell what could be the approximate cost of getting OCT done and what will happen if that is the reason for declining eyesight and not myopia. Also, sir, I want to get rid of the glasses. I have heard about lasik. What would be the requirement of that? I am too scared to use a lens.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The cost of OCT (optical coherence tomography) differs from one country to another, and I am not living in your country. If that is the reason, then they will treat the retina first, and you might end up not needing specs. As for LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis), again you will have to ask locally, but it is just a few additional diagnostic tests, but that should be considered only once your refraction is stable for at least two years in a row.

| 

Please suggest some change in food pattern which facilitates the stability of eyesight, or some eye exercise. Also, if I use the lens every day will that aggravate the situation. I also want to know will not wearing glasses all the time aggravate my eyesight. As while I am reading, I do not need glasses. Will wearing glasses will make eyesight stable. Sometimes I feel a slight headache if I wear glasses.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

No specific exercises or food have been proven to have benefit in this situation. Glasses are usually prescribed so that only your far vision is corrected so if your near vision is fine, then no need to wear them while reading or when you feel you do not need them.

| 

I have floaters. Should I worry about my vision?

Query: Hi doctor, I have eye floaters. There is no family history of glaucoma. I do not smoke or drink and also not eating non-vegetarian foods at present. My eye pressure in both the eyes are 18 to 20 mmHg. My floater eight years ago after severe eye infection from welding light radiation. There is no OVD...  Read Full »

I had solar retinopathy in the past. Should I get my eyes checked frequently?

Query: Hello doctor, I had been diagnosed with solar retinopathy. I went for an eye exam and the OCT results came up great. However, I am worried about the prevalence of it popping up when I least expect it. The retina looks fine. Should I take heart in knowing that I am fine or be vigilant and continue...  Read Full »

Is it recommended to do optic nerve sheath fenestration after VP shunt surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,My sister suffered intracranial hypertension six months back and she became blind a few weeks after. A lot was done (lumbar puncture, etc.) to bring back her vision but in vain. Recently she has had VP shunt surgery and there is another plan to do optic nerve sheath fenestration. I woul...  Read Full »