Q. There is foul odor from toe nail. What to do?

Dr. Damanjit Duggal

My mother is 85 years old. She is diabetic and blind. She is complaining of foul odor from under her big toe nail. The nail looks like it is normal. What should we do?

Do you have a question on Nail Infection or Antifungal?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Damanjit Duggal

MD., IDCCM(CRITICAL CARE
Critical Care Physician Diabetology Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Your mother seems to have paronychia. Paronychia is the infection of the finger or toenail along the edge.

It might be a bacterial or fungal infection. Accordingly, she will require a topical antibiotic or antifungal application.

If the infection is severe, she might have to take oral medications.

Please get a complete blood count done and also check her diabetes status and revert with reports.

Also Read Answers From: Nail Infection Antifungal Paronychia

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full »

Is it safe to apply antifungal cream on the tip of penis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching on my tip of the penis, which also becomes red due to itch. Is it safe to apply any antifungal cream on the tip of the penis? Please suggest some good antifungal cream.  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Icliniq.com.  I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.  Read Full »

How can I cure ocular rosacea, blepharitis, and MGD?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old girl. I have had eye problems for around nine months and have seen several eye doctors and ophthalmologists who all have told me different things and tried a lot of different treatments that have not worked. I am a contact lens wearer with extremely bad eyesight and fi...  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can imagine the situation you are going through. MGD (meibomian gland dysfunction) with dry eyes related to rosacea is a disturbing problem. Your doctor is treating it very well but in spite of all, you are still having problems. You have done warm compresses, taken ora...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now