Q. There is foul odor from toe nail. What to do?

Dr. Damanjit Duggal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2018

My mother is 85 years old. She is diabetic and blind. She is complaining of foul odor from under her big toe nail. The nail looks like it is normal. What should we do?

Dr. Damanjit Duggal

Critical Care Physician Diabetology Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your mother seems to have paronychia. Paronychia is the infection of the finger or toenail along the edge.

It might be a bacterial or fungal infection. Accordingly, she will require a topical antibiotic or antifungal application.

If the infection is severe, she might have to take oral medications.

Please get a complete blood count done and also check her diabetes status and revert with reports.

|