Q. What are the day-to-day habits that could affect the teeth?

Dr. Honey Nandwani

What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.

#

Smoking adversely affects the gum health as the gum disease becomes less apparent in smokers and they show symptoms once the condition becomes severe. Secondly, it can cause pigmentation leading to smoker's melanosis (brown to black pigmentation of gums). Other ill effects can be oral and lung cancer.

Opening things using teeth can make them attested gradually by making them sensitive and more prone to decay and fracture.

Holding needles and pins in between teeth can cause notching of teeth which disturb the appearance as well as cause sensitivity of teeth.

Tobacco chewing habit can cause teeth staining, per cancerous conditions like leukoplakia, oral submucous fibrosis, and even the deadly oral cancer.

High sugar intake can cause an increased incidence of tooth decay.

|