Q. What are the day-to-day habits that could affect the teeth?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Dec 14, 2018

What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

Smoking adversely affects the gum health as the gum disease becomes less apparent in smokers and they show symptoms once the condition becomes severe. Secondly, it can cause pigmentation leading to smoker's melanosis (brown to black pigmentation of gums). Other ill effects can be oral and lung cancer.

Opening things using teeth can make them attested gradually by making them sensitive and more prone to decay and fracture.

Holding needles and pins in between teeth can cause notching of teeth which disturb the appearance as well as cause sensitivity of teeth.

Tobacco chewing habit can cause teeth staining, per cancerous conditions like leukoplakia, oral submucous fibrosis, and even the deadly oral cancer.

High sugar intake can cause an increased incidence of tooth decay.

Esthetic Era - Treatment for Midline Diastema

Article Overview: In this article, we will discuss various treatment options for a gap in upper front teeth, medically known as midline diastema. Read Article

What Is Midline Diastema? Midline diastema is the gap present between the upper front teeth irrespective of spacing present between the lower front teeth. If the gap present between the upper front teeth is more than 0.5 mm proximally, space is visible between the upper central incisors. Usually, ...  Read Article

Early Detection of Dental Problems in Kids

Article Overview: It is of utmost importance that parents routinely examine the intraoral region of their kids for any anomaly of soft tissues or hard tissues like milk tooth, permanent tooth and the jaw. Most of the oral and maxillofacial anomalies seen in children can be corrected by taking appropriate preventive steps in the growing stage itself. Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Pedodontist

It is very important to routinely examine the intraoral region of the kids for any anomaly of soft tissues or hard tissues. For this, the parents should have a basic knowledge about the function of the mouth and the intraoral parts and its esthetics. Some of the common features which have to be kep...  Read Article

I have white patches in the throat and reddened soft palate. Is it oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having oral symptoms for the last six months or so. I also have been a heavy drinker for the past seven to eight years. I discontinued this in January of this year. Started in the fall of last year with allergy, cold symptoms and has continued to the present day even getti...  Read Full »