Can a nasal bone fracture be fixed in an ENT office?

Q. I have bloody nose and pain in nose due to injury. Is it due to fracture?

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2023

Hello doctor,

My nose got hit about a week ago and I got a bloody nose. Usually, when I get bloody noses I just leave it and it heals by itself but this time was diffrent. The next couple of days I could not breathe right through my left nostril, my nose kept dripping clear fluid and for some reason, I kept sneezing a lot. I had a bad headache the first couple of days and it is still a bit sore. Now that the swelling has gone down it looks like my nose is off to the left. Is it broken or fractured? Can it be fixed in an ENT office? And around how much would it cost because I do not think my insurance will cover it. I am trying to get it fixed as soon as I can because I do not want it to heal wrong.



Welcome to

You seem to be having a septal or nasal bone fracture. These fractures are visible in an x-ray. We usually correct the features within a day of it occurring. After that time fibrosis sets in and we do not attempt to correct until three months when healing tissue has fully formed. Subsequently, we can get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the nose and PNS (paranasal sinus) and do a septorhinoplasty surgery to correct any deformity. Nextly, clear fluid dripping from the nose after a trauma like yours is a cause for worry as it can be CSF (cerebrospinal fluid). CSF is localized in brains and meninges covering the brain. It should not come out through the nose. If it does, it means some defect in the body confines of CSF and it has to be plugged. Otherwise, infection can rise up to the brain. For the above issues, it is best to visit an ENT doctor asap. In my practice, I will ideally do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) cisternography for CSF leak and also CSF fluid suggest estimation and CSF fluid beta transferrin examination. If it is found it is indeed CSF, then I do an endoscopic correction of the leak. The deviated septum and nasal deformity are secondary to CSF problem in the severity of the condition. I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My nose is partially blocked for a long time and I sneeze a lot. Is it due to allergic rhinitis or nasal polyp?

.. look at your problems in a systematic way. Nose block on and off and on different sides each time sounds more like a rhinitis problem. If it were deviated nasal septum then the block will be predominantly on one side.   Read full

Should I take my son to a doctor immediately for a nosebleed?

If the bleeding does not stop, then we do a nasal packing ... Keep an adrenaline ampule, dilute it in 1 ml of saline, use it after soaking in cotton, apply in the nasal cavity if bleeding recur   Read full

Why do I suffer from cold and runny nose every summer?

Occupational asthma ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.