Q. Had a bypass surgery. Can I take Actifed and Otrivine nasal drops together?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Published on Dec 31, 2018

I am a 60-year-old man. I have had a bypass operation 17 years back. I am on alpha and beta blockers. Is it possible to take Actifed and Otrivine nasal drops together?

#

I would suggest it is better to space these out at least two hours apart. Give a gap of two hours before taking other after taking one. Pseudoephedrine and Oxymetazoline have common alpha agonist activity, can increase, give a surge in BP, especially if your BP already remains at the borderline. Another thing that I am concerned is, if you have underlying subclinical BPH, taking these two together can precipitate urinary retention and you will not be able to empty bladder.

What medicines can help my bad throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a bad throat maybe because of change in weather as I am traveling. It is like flu with a bad throat and with a blocked nose. Also, my spit is in green color now. Can I take antibiotics? Is it bacterial or viral? I m attaching a picture of my spit. Also, I am on Metformin fo...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for cold, fever and ear pain.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a cold from one week. Today, I experienced ear pain and a fever of 99.6.  Read Full »

Does nose bleeding occur after a septoplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I have done a septoplasty and the dressing was taken out yesterday. Now my nose bleeds a lot the whole day and then it was normal. Today I woke up and there was a lot of blood in my nose and it was dry inside. Is it because I missed out taking the nasal spray while I was asl...  Read Full »