Q. What should I do for my nasal blockage as it is causing trouble in sleeping now?

Dr. Ranjit Peter

I have been experiencing blockage on one side of my nose for one year. However, when I do work out, the blockage clears. Now the symptoms are worsening, and I could not sleep properly.

Kindly help me with this.

#

Based on the clinical information you have shared, you most likely have hypertrophic inferior turbinates. There might also be a slight deviation of the nasal septum. The fact that the nasal obstruction clears with exercise is reassuring because usually with changes in blood flow, as during exercise, the nasal turbinate tissue does shrink a little, giving you some relief. The obstruction changing sides are a regular phenomenon called the nasal cycle, wherein the right and left nasal passages alternatively congest and decongest every two to four hours.

However, some more information regarding your symptoms would be helpful.

1. Do you have bouts of sneezing in the mornings, itchy eyes or nose, etc.?

2. Do you have any background of bronchial asthma or wheezing in the past?

3. Does your profession involve dust exposure?

4. How is your sense of smell?

5. Has anyone at home told you about snoring?

On some mornings after waking up, I sneeze a lot. I also snore while sleeping, and my sense of smell has decreased for the last year. I am working onboard ships as a chief engineer.

#

You may be having a nasal allergy. There is also a minimal possibility that you may have allergic nasal polyps, causing nasal obstruction and reducing smell. However, the fact that your nose gets decongested is reassuring.

I would suggest Fluticasone furoate nasal spray, two puffs in the morning for one to three months. It usually takes some time for the medicine to act. You may notice relief in your symptoms in two weeks. You may use this spray on a seasonal basis if you are suffering from sneezing in the morning, but you need to use the spray at least for a month at a stretch daily. Using it occasionally will not be helpful.

|