Q. Do we need biopsy for nasal polyp?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is having difficulty in breathing. We have consulted a doctor. Based up on the diagnosis, he advised a surgery for the polyp in the right side of her nose. She is 45 years old. Her weight is 65 kg and height is 5'4". Currently, no biopsy has been done. Do we need to check biopsy? Can you please provide your opinion and the severity level?

#

I got to understand that the primary complaint of your mother is nasal obstruction. How long is it present?

If it is antrochoanal polyp, as CT suggests (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it needs surgery. AC polyp does not reduce with medicines.

More important reason to get surgery is that in above 40 years age with nasal polyp is a risk. Biopsy has to be taken to rule out malignancy when it is only on one side.

Risk of surgery depends on general condition and surgery when done endoscopically does not cause much risk. BP, diabetes and other underlying systemic diseases are risk factors.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

She observed the difficulty before three months for the first time. Her complain is only for the past three months. Is it possible that after surgery again we will end up in same issue? I mean does this surgery always successful? I have attached endoscopy report for more details. Can you please provide your opinion with more information? How soon we have to proceed for surgery?

#

The outcome depends on how early you want to get surgery. It is not urgent, but it has to be done and not delayed much.

• Success rate of no surgery is 100%, but this surgery has well above 90%.
  • Further treatment will depend on biopsy report. If it is normal then no treatment needed.
  • If the symptoms of nasal blockage is due to allergy and not AC polyp then after surgery nasal sprays has to be used.

|