Q. My 3. 4-year-old son breathes through his mouth and snores due to nasal polyps. What to do?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2021
My 3.4year old kid has nasal polyps which is 3/4th coveres into his left nostril and 1/4th covered in right nostril, he always breaths through his mouth, whenever he does some activity he feels little dypsnea, but never stops being naughty, he snores while sleeping which is more concern to me. Till now, he did say any headache or other issues like pain in nostril or something, please please need your help. Due to this lockdown can't visit ent clincs near by.
#

welcome to iCliniq

Nasal blockade due to any cause be it adenoids or polyps do cause snoring.It is because any obstruction in the the nasal cavity nasopharynx does alter the normal resonating properties of the nasopharyngeal chamber causing snoring. The masses you are seeing are not polyps. They are turbinates. Turbinates are normal structures. The left one seems to be enlarged though. What problems does your child have ? Does he complain of nasal obstruction? Is his sleep disturbed? He is probably having adenoids. Adenoids usually grow only up to 5 to 6 years and disappear on their own by 9 to11 years. However if it is causing difficulty in breathing , then you can get them removed. However snoring isn't that much a problem. You can use decongestants like Otrivin P nasal drops. that would help relieve the congestion and improve breathing.

Yes, he complaints about nasal obstruction and sleep disturbance frequently in late night. Also, he takes breath through his mouth always. If I forcefully close the mouth then he feels uncomfortable to take breath through nose and immediately pulls my hand, thats my concern. I would like to check with you, are these turbinates dangerous? Since it is growing age, does it impact his growth? Right now he did not complaint any other problem. Is there any chance of getting side effect? Please help us. I am so worried. He is a premature baby too.

#

There is nothing to worry. Once this Corona scare is over, please go to ENT specialist. Get an x-ray of adenoids done. If it shows adenoids and if adenoids are large enough to cause nasal obstruction, the doctor may advice adenoidectomy. Adenoidectomy will relieve the obstruction. Till then you can administer the nasal drops I have advised. Two drops three times a day but do not use them for more than seven days at a stretch. If he has cold or running nose, then give him medicines as required.

|