Q. What treatment would relieve pain in my left hand and neck?

Dr. Manav Gupta

One month back, I slept with both my hands under my head. There was a slight pain in my left shoulder and neck in the morning. After that, I did weight lifting exercises for the triceps in which the weight is lifted with both arms, and there is a movement from the back to the upper portion of the head. Later that pain increased slightly, and occasionally, I felt a tingling sensation in my left hand, similar to an electric shock. All these symptoms subsided until it came back again during my train journey as I slept using my bag as a pillow. I felt the same tingling sensation in my left hand again, which reduces when I bend my neck down or the right side. Currently, I am taking a cold compress for my neck. So the pain is significantly less now. I feel that some nerve is being pressed in my left shoulder or neck. What treatment should I take to correct this, and how long will it take to cure completely?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. As per your symptoms, the most likely cause can be the disc in the cervical region pinching the nerve, causing radiation of pain and reflex muscle spasm, which is a protective defense of the body. It would help if you took certain precautions like not lifting heavyweight, bending forwards, or straining your neck in an awkward posture while watching televsion or working on a laptop. You have to do specific exercises like isometric neck strengthening, trapezius strengthening, and some stretches. A local physiotherapist can teach you these properly, in my suggestion. I advise you to take tablet Pregabalin 75 mg for three weeks, tablet Tetrafol Plus (L-Methylfolate) one tablet every day for one month, tablet Retoz (Etoricoxib) one tablet twice a day for seven days and tablet Pantop 40 mg one tablet every day for seven days. Please continue cold compress for 6 to 8 weeks for complete relief.

Thank you for your response.

I shall take the treatment advised by you and get back to you after a month.

#

Sure, please do revert back. I will hope for a speedy recovery.

|