Q. Can formula be given to newborn baby for jaundice?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was having 6 to 8 diapers a day with breastfeeding. Please guide.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You need to check the weight of the child and the hydration status of the child to comment on the reason for icterus. Also the blood group of the baby and mother should be known along with G6PD status. Another important factor that comes to play is breast milk jaundice which may be caused due to breast milk itself in some children.

All the above problems (except the G6PD, blood group mismatch) are tackled easily without any issues when top feeds are given (temporarily). Hence, the doctor may have advised you for top feeds.

|