Q. What is neurocysticercosis?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

I would like to have an opinion about my brother's recent medical condition. He has been diagnosed with neurocysticercosis. Please explain.

#

I feel sorry for your brother's recent disease.

• Neurocysticercosis is a parasitic disease and is actually the most common of the parasitic brain diseases.
  • It is caused by Tenia solium, a tapeworm that is found in pigs.
  • It damages the cerebral cortex at first and then may involve cerebellum part of the brain.
  • Symptoms may be seizures, gait abnormalities and late in the disease if pituitary gland involves, then it may lead to many endocrine system anomalies.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|