Parasitic Infection

How to treat a belly button worm?

Query: Hello doctor, My abdomen has been swelling for months and is quite distended. Something felt like it was moving around in my stomach about eight months ago but I did not pay much attention to it. When I awoke yesterday, my rectum was itching and my belly button felt as if it had been cut. It felt wo...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the images you have posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Generally, there is no communication between the abdomen to the outside through the umbilicus. So, you will need to get an ultrasonogram of the abdomen d...  Read Full »

Does Metamucil cause rubbery stools?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. My only diagnosed health issues are mild hypertension and acid reflux. I take medicines for both. Over the past three months, I had been experiencing a change in bowel habits. It starts with normal stool, then a bout of constipation or hard stool and then loose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a standard description of functional bowel syndrome, probably IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). But, there is no alarming symptoms are present like weight loss, lump or blood in stools. Parasites will not cause these symptoms. Continue taking psyllium husk as required...  Read Full »

Is parasitic eye infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The parasite inside the eye is usually, cysticercus or hydatid. It is not transmitted through natural sexual routes. It is usually ingested through food. Some parasites, for example, lice or mites infesting the eyelashes are transmitted through physical contact. But, the...  Read Full »

How to stop by 9 year old son from bedwetting?

Query: Hi doctor, My 9 year old son has a problem with bedwetting. He does it around two to three times a week. Kindly suggest some treatment. My 5 year old daughter is suffering from cold, cough and stomach pain sometimes. Please suggest a few medications for her. Thank you in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Shilpa Sharma

Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For son, During the night, when exactly does your son passes urine? Is it immediately once he goes to bed or sometime in between? Does he feel chiller during the night? Or does he enjoy summer? I would advise you not to give him any liquid diet one to two hours bef...  Read Full »

Why do I have a crawling sensation post penis surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 year old bachelor. For the past one year, I have a feeling that something is crawling throughout my body. I am feeling this sensation after my penis frenulum surgery. It starts from penis glans and spreads across my whole body. Right now, I do not want any medication or treatme...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The feeling of insects crawling inside your body is mainly a psychological condition known as delirium. There are no tests or investigations to prove it. Rarely, it can be because of parasitic infection inside the skin, lungs, and muscles. Anti-helminthic tablets Albend...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my skin itching with welts and hives? How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I have this skin problem that I first noticed before three years. My skin will itch like crazy and break out into welts and hives. The symptoms will last for a few hours then go away. Some days I experience more than two outbreaks. The itching, bumps, and hives most likely appear after I...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Microbiologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have examined the pictures and taken note of your concerns. I think the underlying cause is a parasitic infestation which is known to give rise to itching in evenings and nights and also results in the formation of wheals as noticed in the pictures. The treatment ...  Read Full »

What are the causes of bleeding after a bowel movement?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old female, and I am not on any medications. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall, and I weigh 133 pounds. About 3 to 4 days ago after having a bowel movement, I noticed a little bit of bright red blood on the toilet paper, and my anus was bleeding a little bit for the next minute ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get your stool examined for the possibility of parasites which can cause such local irritation. Also, malabsorption of certain compounds in food can lead to local irritation after passing stools. Fresh bleeding is possible if the stools are hard, but ther...  Read Full »

Which medicines are used to treat parasitic infection?

Query: Hi Doctor, Which anthelmintic medicine would you recommend for a treatment for a possible parasitic infection (worm)? Is it Albendazole? If yes, for how many days? I do have some itchiness around my anus area and cannot get a doctor appointment here.  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. It is important to find out which type of worm infection you are suffering from. There are hundreds of worms which enter the body and the treatment varies depending on the type of the worm. So, ideally you should get a stool routine/microscopy done. It is a simple te...  Read Full »

Tests for stomach pain revealed a high eosinophil count. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a stomach ache from the last two months. It got worsened last week and I was admitted to a hospital. A lot of tests were done. The CBC revealed eosinophilia. The gastroscopy revealed an edematous duodenum. A duodenal biopsy was taken. I have attached my biopsy report. I want to u...  Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the findings were normal. There is nothing to be worried about. You will need to use PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) to improve your symptoms. Regarding your eosinophilia, it may be el...  Read Full »

Is there any indication of parasitic infection in my brain MRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if there appears to be any indication of a parasitic infection, specifically, cerebral sparganosis? I am waiting on getting the ELISA antibody test for sparganosis, and have been having worsening headaches and moving/squirming sensations in my head?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cerebral sparganosis is a rare parasitic infection due to a parasite named spirometra mansoni and when there is a parasitic infestation of the brain tissues. There are particular features like small tunnels in the brain tissues, areas of edema, and in some cases the ...  Read Full »