Neurogenic Bladder

I need a second opinion on the treatment done for a child with a neurogenic bladder. Please guide.

Query: Hi doctor, A 10-year-old boy was already diagnosed with Bardet- Biedl syndrome (BBS), CKD (chronic kidney disease), hypogonadism, and neurogenic bladder complained of recurrent urinary tract infection and constipation. The child got Mitrofanoff appendicovesicostomy ten days back. I have attached th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the discharge summary (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I understand that Appendicular Mitrofanoff was done after the diagnosis of the Neurogenic bladder. I want to let you know that Mitrofanoff is the surgery in cases of Neurogenic blad...  Read Full »

My 14-year-old daughter suffers from UTI since childhood. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 14 years old and has had UTIs since she was at a very young age. We have taken her to doctors, and they put her on antibiotics which do not work, or at least not long enough. She drinks plenty of water every day and does physical activity daily. We are stuck with no treatmen...  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history you gave, it seems that she has a genetic susceptibility to urinary infections. Other reasons could be neurogenic bladder dysfunction, undiagnosed reflux disease, ureterocele and other anatomic causes. Use of daily low dose antibiotic prophylaxis is a ...  Read Full »

How to treat bladder pain presenting with poor bladder control?

Query: Dear doctor Sorry post so long but have other complex healthy issues I felt you need to know before answering my query. I would very much appreciate your patience in reading such a long post but today feeling desperate. Two years ago I started getting pain in my bladder, groin and urethra. I h...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi and thank you very much for consulting cliniq Your post is interesting. 58 years female complains of tingling sensation while peeing and pain due bladder spasms. Multiple trials of antibiotics failed. Urethral dilatation was done. Pain is getting worse. Peeing spray in all directions. Difficult ...  Read Full »

I am getting recurrent infections after bladder wall removal. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an operation three years ago, and a part of my bladder wall was removed. I had surgery around three years ago, where a urologist removed a part of my bladder wall. It has never been repaired, and I need it to be repaired. I have had ongoing sepsis and infection with routine antibio...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thanks for consulting with Icliniq Overviewing your case, it seems to me that you got neurogenic bladder secondary to MS (multiple sclerosis). The neurogenic bladder will have high pressure and will lead to bilateral reflux over time, which will lead to urinary in...  Read Full »

Is it common to get UTI after bilateral ureteric surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My 19 months old daughter has suffered with for around seven months. Then, we had an MCU test and it was diagnosed that she had grade 5 reflux in right side and grade 4 in left side. Her ultrasound showed she had 40 cc urine residual. Her doctor suggested ureteric bilateral surgery. She h...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surgery to correct reflux will not prevent UTI (urinary tract infection). It will only prevent bacteria from reaching kidneys, thereby preventing renal damage. Yes, UTI can still occur after correction of reflux. Other factors which predispose to UTI must be ruled ou...  Read Full »

Can cell therapy help a patient with neurogenic bladder?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 22 years old, has neurogenic bladder. Her height is 4'10" and weight is 53 kg. She is suffering from voiding dysfunction and constipation. She underwent surgery for spinal lipoma when she was 45 days old. Her bladder trabeculated and grade 3 reflux. Her right kidney is...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, your daughter needs treatment. I need to know that, how is she doing without medicines? How many times in the night does she pass urine? For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for the urge to urinate and pass stool during shortness of breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I get out of breath easily causing pressure to urinate or pass stool, or both. This has been going on over a year I have been through every test and specialist I know of. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have incontinence to both urine and stool. This is very likely a neurogenic cause. I would like to know more details. Do you have Diabetes, spine surgery or trauma? Is there walking difficulty, numbness of limbs? Is the stool passed soft or hard? How many times d...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain, numbness and bladder control issues?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27-year-old male and have pain, numbness and bladder control issues. Kindly guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain numbness and bladder control issues point towards spine pathology. If you have done some MRI, then please upload the images else I would recommend a dorsolumbar spine MRI. For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-docto...  Read Full »