Q. I get out of breath easily causing pressure to urinate or pass stools. Why?

Dr. Devendra
Published on Nov 21, 2019

I get out of breath easily causing pressure to urinate or pass stool, or both. This has been going on over a year I have been through every test and specialist I know of. Please help.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

You have incontinence to both urine and stool. This is very likely a neurogenic cause. I would like to know more details. Do you have Diabetes, spine surgery or trauma? Is there walking difficulty, numbness of limbs? Is the stool passed soft or hard? How many times do you get up at night to void, any night time incontinence, leakage of urine on sneezing cough? How is the flow of urine? Did you have any previous surgery?

when you leak urine is it associated with a strong desire to void or do you strain to pass urine? Is breathlessness present at other times except for urine or stool? kindly share the reports of urine analysis, USG KUB (ultrasound kidney, ureter and bladder) PVR (post residual volume), and blood sugar. Did you have any cardiac evaluation for breathlessness?

Yes, I have diabetes. I have no surgery, no leakage at night, and the urine flow is normal. I am having tingling sensation in both legs and feet below the knees. I have only incontinence when there is short of breath. The stool is soft. There is a lot of pressure then, incontinence happens uncontrollably. Incontinence happens only when I cannot breath, or short of breath.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

This is an overactive bladder based on history. It needs to evaluate further by:

1. Urine analysis.

2. USG KUB with post-void residue.

3. Uroflowmetry.

4. Evaluation for the cause of breathlessness by a physician.

5. PSA (prostate-specific antigen).

Medicines can be prescribed only if the above evaluations are done and reports shared on this platform. For symptomatic treatment start (Tamsulosin 0.4mg and Tolterodine 2 mg) Roliflo OD-2 at bed time, Neurobione forte OD for 10 days till reports are available.

What are the possible causes for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full »

Why did my daughter get UTI after ureteric bilateral surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My 19 months old daughter has suffered with for around seven months. Then, we had an MCU test and it was diagnosed that she had grade 5 reflux in right side and grade 4 in left side. Her ultrasound showed she had 40 cc urine residual. Her doctor suggested ureteric bilateral surgery. She h...  Read Full »