Q. Is it normal for a newborn baby to sleep for more than 18 hours?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2021

My newborn baby is sleeping the whole day. He sleeps more than 18 hours. Is this normal?

#

• It is an absolutely normal behavior of a newborn. They may sleep even twenty to twenty-two hours per day. Nothing to worry.
  • As the baby grows, the duration of sleep decreases accordingly. So, keep your baby warm and feed every second hourly.

Thank you and have a nice day.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Thank you for replying. What does keeping the baby warm mean?

#

• Keeping warm means covering the baby properly and not exposing to cold surrounding like directly putting the baby under fan or AC. If the baby is not warm, it may develop some issues like not feeding well, dullness, etc.

Thank you and have a nice day.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|