Q. My 18 month old baby is not sleeping throughout the night. What to do?

Dr. Prakash Nagar

My 18 month old baby is not sleeping throughout the night. How do I get him to sleep through the night? Also how do I get him to stop breastfeeding?

#

It seems your baby has not yet developed day and night cycle, or she might get hungry at night and gets up for feeds. I hope she is growing well and must have attained her normal mile stones for the age. No medication is required to make her sleep. You can continue breast feeding up to 2 years of age as recommended.

Develop a routine for food and breast feeding. At this stage, baby needs four meals and three to four times breast feeding. Make an alternate, give breast feeding when she wakes up, after two to three hours give breakfast, like that. If she sleeps for good hours during day time then, you need to make her engage in some play to reduce day time sleep. It will take time, but slowly, she will develop a proper cycle. I am sure things will change.

|