Q. My 4 weeks old baby has inguinal hernia. What to do?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2019

I have a 4 weeks old baby boy. He was healthy without any pain or colics. But yesterday I noticed a swelling in his inguinal area, I went to the hospital, and the doctor said he had left inguinal hernia. But it is not bad. The problem is he is not taking feed regularly, and when I try to feed him, he wants to eat only when he is hungry. But he cries. He vomits four to five times or even more after feeding and also has a lot of hiccups. I feed him in the upright position. His stomach looks like a balloon, and he is having a problem to excrete. Can it be a reflux or lactose intolerance? I told the doctor, but he said it is normal. It does not seem to be normal because the baby is uncomfortable and always arch his back, and he is always grunting as he wants to excrete.

#

From the way that you are describing, it looks like this is your first baby. Please note that the weight of your baby is perfect, and all the phenomena that you described are completely normal at this age group.

But the hernia is definitely a concern. It is probably because of this hernia the child may wriggle about and have occasional pain and colic. I hope that the doctors have explained and showed you how to reduce the hernia. Please be advised that this hernia would require a regular follow for six months to see if a surgery is required to close the hernia. Do not worry, it is a minor surgery.

Normal phenomenon in children up to age of 6 months: occasional cough and sneezing but child is able to feed well, sleeping in the day and staying awake at night, passing gas like a big person, hiccups, occasional small bouts of vomiting but the child is gaining weight, passing stools 10 times a day or once in 2 days.

The abnormal phenomenon in children: lethargy, refusal to feed completely, abdominal distention with multiple episodes of large vomiting and not passing stools at all, convulsion, passing blood in stools or completely white or lemon yellow stools.

|