Q. Every night when I am about to sleep, my hand itches a lot. Please help.

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 25, 2021

I am having itchiness in my hands every night for two weeks. When I am going to sleep, I started to have this itchiness. I do not know whether it occurs due to insect bites or red spots or rashes on my skin. I cannot sleep due to this issue. I think that this itchiness is coming from the inside of my hands. I tried taking Cetirizine but it did not help me.

#

Nighttime pruritus is a common issue. The notable causes are insects, temperature changes, hormonal, internal diseases, and psychological. You need to rule out the cause. I suggest you spray insecticide in your room. The temperature change can present as a cold allergy called perniosis. I think that you do not have any other medical condition. Do not take caffeine-related products in the evening or before sleep. Your room should be cool and humid. Wash your clothes regularly and dry them properly. Reduce your stress and do relaxation exercises like yoga and meditation. You can take tablet Hydroxyzine 25 mg before 30 minutes of going to bed for five days. Have a review after five days.

|