Q. I have severe itching in the groin area. What should I do?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2021

I have itchy boils on the scrotum and groin areas. During the day, I feel too itchy, and due to the itching, I have developed rashes which are painful. When I try to break them, it starts to bleed. Sometimes, I have the itchiness during the night as well. I have attached an image for your consideration.

I have a similar itchy problem around my anus too, and I feel that the skin around that area is very dry. Earlier, I had similar boils around the anus which eventually subsided, but I do feel itchy at times. Currently, I am using Lulizol cream and Diominic SR tablets, but, I do not get the desired relief, though it is slightly better than when I was using the Candid B cream.

#

I have read your query and seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It does look like a fungal infection. Due to the application of steroid-based products, the clinical picture has been altered. The use of a steroid-based product for a fungal infection aggravates it.

Few of those nodules which appear raised can be molluscum contagiosum, a viral infection. But, clinical examination is necessary for conclusive diagnosis.

Apply Luliconazole 1 % cream once daily and Miconazole 2% cream once daily. Take tablet Terbinafine 250 mg twice daily after meals for 15 days.

Do not touch or break the boils. It can lead to a secondary infection. Do not use Candid B cream.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thank you doctor,

It gets too itchy at times. After applying the cream, I feel alright for four to five hours. But, as the cream begins to dry up, the itching sensation reoccurs.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Due to continuous itching, the scrotal skin has thickened. I advise you to visit a dermatologist since clinical examination is important.
  • Consider taking an oral antihistamine. I suggest taking tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg once every day to reduce itching.
  • Continue for two weeks and revert with images.

Revert after two weeks to a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thanks for replying. I have visited a dermatologist and my current medications have been prescribed by him. He says it is a fungal infection. He also suggested to visit a surgeon to get the boils removed, but I am afraid of undergoing a surgery. Do you also feel I need a surgery?

#

• They are more like skin tags. So, in your case, yes, excision would help.
  • Since you have already consulted a dermatologist in the past, you can consider excision. It is a minor procedure and will not hurt.

For further queries consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thanks for replying. I am not in favor of excision right now. Will the above drugs and cream reduce the itching and skin tags? With the Lulizol cream, the thickness of the boils have reduced, and in some places has subsided. So I would prefer to wait so I can avoid excision. Please guide me. Also, can you give me more clarity regarding the medications?

#

The itching and rashes will resolve with these medications. You can wait for a few weeks. If they do not subside, then excision can be considered.

The medications I had suggested was:

1. Tablet Terbest (Terbinafine) 250 mg, twice daily after meals.
  2. Tablet Levosiz (Levocetirizine) 10 mg at bed time after meals.
  3. DK gel (Miconazole) 2 % or Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) 2 %.

I have been taking the above medicines and creams for the past 12 days. I believe it has helped to reduce the infection. I attach the pictures taken after bath today. But, I do feel itchy sometimes in the afternoon, and at night mainly around 3.00 am. I itch a lot on my scrotum and then again apply lotion. Could you please check the pictures? I feel the skin around scrotum to be too dry when I become itchy. One thing that I missed to inform is that I am diabetic and also have high blood pressure for which I do take medication.

#

Fungal infection is resolving. It will take time for infection to fix completely. Continue with topical medications for a month. Yes, in case of diabetes, it takes time for skin lesions to resolve.

Do you have itching sensation in between web spaces and lower abdomen?

Revert with further information to a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

I do itch in the lower abdomen but not in web spaces. Why do I itch in the middle of the night at around 3 am? My skin around scrotum feels dry and thick. Further, the skin around inner thigh has gone black.

#

It is due to inflammation there is itchy feeling. Thickening of skin over scrotum is not due to fungal infection but due to growth over the scrotum. You need to get it evaluated by clinical examination. Also, a skin biopsy can be done to confirm the diagnosis of the same. Darkening will eventually subside once infection resolves.

For further doubts consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

|