Q. I had a crush on a guy and getting nightmares about him recently. Please help.

Dr. K V Anand
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 24, 2019

I had been crushing on a guy for nine years now, and he did not know about it till for the last month when I confessed. He told me that I have to forget about him because we will never be together. So I tried to forget him by trying other hobbies that can distract me and with the help of friends. Meanwhile, he and I are talking since I confessed and till now, as friends, we mostly speak every day, for a month now.

I am getting nightmares about him for this month, and they are all about him being harmful or he getting harm. Whether it was physically or psychologically (he causes damage, or he gets hurt by having accidents or fighting or insulting, etc.). Why do I keep having nightmares? Why are all of them are about him by keeping in mind that I only had very few dreams about him for the last nine years (except for the previous month, mainly)?

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Dreams do not have any relations with the future. Or at least there is no evidence for that as of now. But dreams have always related to your unconscious or conscious mind. If something troubles your mind, it could manifest as dreams. That dreams may not be having the same subject.For example, when you run a fever, it possible that you dream about some natural calamities or some wild animals or even harm to our house structure.

The dream about your friend being hurt may not have anything to do with the future. But it shows that you have something stressful in your thinking about him. You are stressed or worried about your relationship with him. You even could have a fear that this friend may not last. The more you worry about these dreams, the more dreams come. Because you are stressed more, so stop worrying about those dreams.

How to correct bedwetting of a 9 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

My sleep gets disturbed by dreams and breathlessness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have used Sizodon LS in the morning and night for a month under doctor's prescription. After that for the last four months, I am getting disturbed sleep by breathlessness and dreams. It is tough for me to get a sound sleep. My ECG and MRI scan are normal. Please advise me to get healt...  Read Full »

Why am I having vivid dream where my beat friend is abandoning me?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not have a health issue but lately, I keep having an intensely vivid dream that an old best friend from high school or college abandons me right when everything gets crazy and I have people trying to hurt me. It is always in the manner of my phone will not connect with him or som...  Read Full »