Q. Kindly suggest an effective treatment plan for nodular acne.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I am a 20 year old female and having nodular acne for more than a year. It looks very terrible and painful. In my teen age I had pimples but of moderate type. I have tried every possible treatments such as chemical peel and Isotretinoin. But nothing worked. Currently, I am taking Divya Kayakalp which is an ayurveda tablet. How can I get rid of this? Please help.

#

I can understand your concern.

• The best medicine for nodulocystic acne is capsule Isotretinoin. This needs to be taken for at least four to five months to have proper response.
  • The dose of Isotretinoin is 20 mg once daily. Before starting the capsule get your baseline liver function tests and lipid profile. If these are normal you can start with the capsule.
  • If you are married you have to avoid pregnancy for at least two years after stopping Isotretinoin.
  • Besides this, you should apply Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel on the pimples twice daily and take a course of tablet Azithromycin 500 mg daily for three consecutive days in a week for initial 5 weeks.
  • Keep your face dry. Avoid applying oily creams and moisturizers and oiling of scalp.
  • Use cosmetics which are labeled as non-comedogenic and reduce the intake of sugary foods.
  • I hope you are not having hormonal imbalance. It presents in the form of menstrual irregularities, hair fall and acne. Then you might require hormonal preparations to resolve your acne.

1. Seborrhea.
2. Hormonal imbalance.

1. Lipid profile.
2. Liver function tests.

Acne vulgaris.

Follow up after five weeks to a dermatologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|