Q. My latest reports showed non-alcoholic fatty liver and hypercholesterolemia. What to do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am a 32 year old male, and I weigh 84 kg. I have a history of asthma, for which I use Salbutamol. I also have eczema and alopecia, for which I use topical Hydrocortisone and Finasteride 1 mg respectively. I do not smoke or drink. My last routine investigation, which I did last year, showed mild non-alcoholic fatty liver. And my recent blood test shows low lipase, low creatine, and hypercholesterolemia. I have attached all my reports. Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query and saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears that you do have a very high cholesterol and high LDL levels, which indicate that you have dyslipidemia.
  • Your ultrasound also shows non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is primarily due to high lipid levels since a very long time. The creatinine is slightly low, but that should not bother you. It is good in a way.
  • The lipase is just 1 below normal and that can also be left as it is, at the moment. It is not of much significance if it is just 1 below normal. What should be of prime importance is the high cholesterol and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) levels. I suggest you try doing the following to reduce your cholesterol level.
  1. Tablet Simvastatin 20 mg at bedtime.
  2. Reduce fats and trans fats in your diet.
  3. Exercise 30 to 45 minutes per day.
  4. Low-fat and low-carbohydrate diet will be advisable.
  5. It is a good thing that you do not smoke or drink, as it would only worsen your lipid levels and put you at risk for heart diseases later on.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent. Your bronchial asthma is well controlled by Salbutamol. Eczema is being treated well with topical Hydrocortisone. Finasteride is appropriate for alopecia.

Hope my advice is of some help to you. Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for the excellent reply. Please advise if Simvastatin might be substituted for Lovastatin, Fluvastatin or Rosuvastatin. My concern is to select a medicine with the least risk for serious side effects.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• According to me, Rosuvastatin 20 mg would be best suited for you with minimal side effects. But consult your doctor before you start taking the medicine. 

|