Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

What should a fatty liver grade 3 patient eat and drink?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with fatty liver grade 3, so my doctor told me to correlate clinically. My SGPT and SGOT levels are normal and within limits. So, the doctor, after doing a physical examination, said that there is no need of fibroscan. He told me to eat everything but exercise a l...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Fatty liver is a condition in which, an excess of fat deposits in the liver, due to either excess fat content in diet or abnormal fat metabolism in the liver.  Reduction of fat content, not only reduces the fat level in blood but also ...  Read Full »

Is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease life-threatening?

Query: Hello doctor, Hemoglobin: 14.3, platelets: 174000, SGOT: 38.9, SGPT: 65.0 and vitamin D: 23.6. All other reports are normal.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This does not require any special treatment. I suggest you avoid painkillers, alcohol, and reduce weight if you are obese. I would also recommend you testing for hepatitis B and C. I hope it helps...  Read Full »

I am not an alcoholic, but my liver is fatty. Is it NAFLD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 5'2"and weight is 62 kg. Today through USG I came to know that my liver is fatty (grade 1 diffuse fatty liver). I am very much worried and I do not drink alcohol. I have been taking Omega-3, protein powder and multivitamin supplements for the last one...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. But, you need to be worked up. Get liver function tests, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody test done. If all the above tests come normal, then nothing to worry, but do not ignore it. Do ...  Read Full »

Please provide a diet plan for NAFLD

Query: Hi doctor, Before three months, I was diagnosed to have NAFLD (Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease). I have lost my weight from 62 to 53 within about three months by way of morning walk for about 1 hour and yoga and pranayama for another 80 minutes and by taking low fat diet and less calories. As a r...  Read Full »

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician, Fitness Expert, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I advise to go with very low fat, high carbohydrate enriched with high quality protein. Add more animal protein like chicken stew, egg boils two pieces, 100 g rohu or catla fish every day at lunch as well as dinner. Add good quality of dairy li...  Read Full »

How to recover fast from NAFLD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I have been suffering from NAFLD for the past five months. Now, I am having RUQ heaviness, back pain, flatulence and tiredness for the last two months. I had several tests and I am giving the details with the findings. USG of whole abdomen - hepatomegaly with fatty li...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. People who suffer from NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) have such kind of right upper quadrant pains, which are dragging in nature and are off and on. Your reports are pretty well in the acceptable range and do not require any special med...  Read Full »

What are the tests to undertake in case of mild fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is under Ayurveda medicine for a hip labrum tear. She had an ultrasound done as a part of some checkup. The finding is mild fatty liver. I am planning for additional blood tests. Could you please recommend the needed tests. She is nonalcoholic. Also, let me know if this is som...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. A mild fatty liver is a common finding and generally does not warrant any further investigations because it will improve with a high-fiber diet, fresh fruits and regular exercise such as brisk walking for 40 minutes five days a week. If you wa...  Read Full »

I have increased ALT, AST and GGT. What does it indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. Recently I went through LFT tests. It was found that I have increased ALT 147, AST 59 and GGT 80. What I have to do now? I am non-alcoholic. Please guide.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Increased ALT (alanine transaminase), AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) indicates liver injury or gallbladder injury. I would suggest you to carry out ultrasound examination of abdomen to rule ou...  Read Full »

Please give a suggestion about my blood test report.

Query: Hello doctor, I recently took a general blood test. I request you to go through my blood test report and give me suggestions. Especially, I would like to mention about alanine transaminase (SGPT) value, which is 56.2 U/L. It is very much higher than the normal range. My previous surgical history inc...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your reports are well within normal limits except for thyroid profile and rise in liver enzymes. If you are on treatment for hypothyroidism, then the report is acceptable. But if you are not on any treatment, then you would need to monitor this. C...  Read Full »

I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Is light beer bad for my liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease last year. My liver enzymes are very high. I used to drink champagne, wine, and other hard liquor, a few times a week. But now, I switched to light beer. Is it bad for my liver?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Excessive alcohol, that is, more than 12 g a day, is certainly dangerous and should be strictly avoided. Regarding mild to moderate consumption, data is inadequate at this moment. But, recommendations are to strictly avoid all alcohol consumption because it can damage...  Read Full »

My ultrasound abdomen shows fatty liver grade 1. Is it harmful?

Query: Hello doctor,My age is 30 years. Height is 5.6 and weight is 73 kg. Recently, I underwent with ultrasound abdomen. In that, the result came as fatty liver grade 1. Is this any harmful and I do not have a habit of alcohol drinking. What should I do? Can this be reversible? What is the diet that I sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, fatty liver can be harmful because it causes non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and cirrhosis in case of a long-standing fatty liver with a contribution of various other factors. It can be reversed by loosening of the weight. Dietary modification with exercise is the ma...  Read Full »