Q. How can I boost my oral microbiome?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I am 32 years old, and I want to boost my oral microbiome. Please suggest me some foods to increase good bacteria in the mouth.

#

Thank you for the query. There are both good and bad bacteria in the oral cavity. So it becomes essential to stimulate good ones and eradicate bad ones. It depends on the food we take:

The foods which encourage the growth of good flora in the mouth are:

1) Dairy products, yogurt, cheese, and milk.

2) Fibre-based foods.

3) Green and black tea.

4) Fruits and vegetables.

5) Legumes, nuts, etc.

These stimulate normal flora and discourage abnormal bacterial growth in the mouth. These also help the calcification of teeth and thus make them strong.

The foods which you need to reduce are:

1) High-sugar foods such as fruit juices.

2) Carbonated beverages.

3) Frequent intake of sugar-rich tea and coffee.

The high sugar-rich foods stimulate the growth of harmful bacteria in the mouth, which destroy teeth by acid production.

Thank you for the answer doctor,

Can you please mention some oral probiotic foods with examples?

#

All foods which stimulate healthy flora in our body are termed probiotics. Usually, such foods are yogurt which we frequently use, then cheese and dairy products. Nuts, peanuts are also included in this category.

At last, I have one small doubt. Foods taken through the mouth goes to the stomach. But how it stimulates mouth flora? Can you explain me clearly?

#

These are usually vitamin or mineral supplements. They are not harmful unless you need them. You can take it for two to three months but you should avoid them for long-term use. It is better and safer to take fruits and vegetables for long-term use. You send a photograph of the lozenge pack. I want to see the one you are using.

Thanks for helping me.

#

There is nothing wrong. But I want to tell you one thing. Do not make it a usual part of your life. Take them for one to three months and then stop. Excess of herbal medications and vitamin supplements also result in some kind of damage. It is better and wiser to take natural foods for boosting immunity and for having good bacteria.

I did oil pulling for two months a year back. After that, I lost weight of ten kilograms. My body is weak. I have some digestive problems also. My idea is to take this and improve oral balance. How many lozenges to be taken for a day?

#

You need to take one lozenge per day in the evening time after meals. Your core issue is a digestive disorder. Due to that, you have all such issues. You need to find a diet plan for yourself. I advise you stop taking coffee or any beverage. Do not take too much food at a time. Identify foods and substitute them with those which you feel improve your digestion. Mix curd with milk. It has a good effect on the gut and oral flora and makes your digestive system strong. Avoid restaurant foods for some time. Enjoy with friends and family. You will feel better. If you are stressed, then you need to relax. Do not be worried. You will gain weight and energy gradually.

Thank you so much for your valuable advice.

#

My pleasure to help you more. Remember peace of mind results in peace of the digestive system. On one side, take care of your diet and on the other side, engage with fun and entertainment. All your issues will fix gradually.

|