Q. My baby is 11 months old and weighs the same for the past four months. Is it normal?

Dr. Amit Modi

My baby girl is 11 months old. At the time of birth, her weight is 2.25 kg. After six Months she weighs 6 Kg. For four months, she is maintaining the same weight i.e. 6.5 kg. Except for this no other adverse symptoms are observed. Baby is very active, eating all foods ( taking less milk from her mother). I consulted two to three pediatricians, they said, the baby is active and no issue with the weight. Is it Correct? Height growth is normal. Can I have any suggestion about my baby's growth?

#

For your kind information, a baby weighs two times the birth weight at 6 months of age and three times the birth weight at 12 months of age. A baby whose weight is below 2.5 kg at birth, is known as low birth weight, which is in your case. There can be various reason for it, one thing can be preterm delivery. Term delivery is of 40 weeks. Delivery below 37 weeks is preterm. If it was preterm delivery then subtract the deficit weeks from the age of the baby to calculate the weight.

The best is to get your child evaluated from a pediatrician, who will do the complete anthropometry as well as clinically assess for any deficiency signs. Do focus on providing the baby with complete complementary feed which is adequate in cereals, pulse, vegetables, fruits in a soft palatable form which will help to gain weight.

|