Q. How will a child with autism behave?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I have just noticed recently my 15 months old when he plays with his electronic toys that light up. He will look closely at where they light up and open his mouth like a stun. It does not happen all the time though. I know this is a sign of autism. But he has great eye contact, responds to name, asks for help with something, babbling, says words like nah, dada, nana for banana, he will point to banana in the book and say it. That to me is pretty smart for a 15-month-old.

Imitates, for example, claps hands understands when I say something like, hey Siri he looks straight at the phone. Waves bye we do not even face to say goodbye just I am going or when dad leaves for work and he waves. Loves cuddles sometimes he will gnaw in my arms and make noises. Do not know if that is just a soothing thing he does. We went to playgroup yesterday and looked at what others were doing smiling and laughing. Walked by 14 months. Follows others if they go somewhere, he will open his books and sound out what they are and looks at me as he does it. I know these all sound like a normal developed child, but I am just worried he will not outgrow what he is doing and later develop it. Am I worrying for nothing I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please note that whatever you have described is a sign of a normal growing child. It is not a sign of autism. These are signs of the child grasping the knowledge of the things and interacting with things around him. Please do not worry. Also, I would advise tender loving care to your child. Spend more time with the child and interact more often with him. Your child should be fine if your interaction with him is fine. Find age-appropriate toys and games for him. It will improve his intellect.

One thing I would advise is to prevent giving your phone or for that matter any phone to the growing child. Handing over a mobile phone to any child cancels all human interaction. The child could have as the child would be lost in the neverending world of the cell phone and not even realize it. I hope I have answered your question and helped you gain an insight into how you can look after the psychological and intellectual growth of your child.

| 

Is it normal for a 7-month-old baby to have jerks?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify...  Read Full »

How to identify if my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full »

My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a pro...  Read Full »