Q. Is my pregnancy chicken pox connected in any way to my baby's rickets?

Dr. Diggireddy Shilpa Reddy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2022

I have a baby boy who is 1 year 8 months old and his weight is only 8.4 kg (birth weight 2.6kg). Before one month, I recognized some irregularity in his walking and went for an X-ray and blood test by the recommendation of a doctor. And diagnosed that his vitamin D and calcium values are very low (vitamin D 19.9 and calcium 6.8) and also he is affected with a mild form of rickets. On the same day, started the medicine as one injection in two legs and vitamin D and calcium supplements are continuing. I was affected with chicken pox 15 days before my delivery. Are these are connected? Anything to worry? Is it reversible? Also, I have one more doubt to ask you. My baby is not taking any food. By grating, I am giving everything as a semi-solid form by using spoon type feeding bottle. Is anything to worry regarding this? Is semisolid food is alright for him? He is not interested in any food including chocolates.

Please give me the proper solution .

#

Firstly, rickets is completely reversible and nothing permanent. Your babies values are very mildly affected. So, by the course you are giving him it will be cured completely. Your pregnancy chicken pox has nothing to do with his condition presently. So do not feel guilty in any way. Coming to food issue, it is perfectly alright for your child to eat semi-solid food. Do not worry about that. Some children like the texture of the food being semisolid. Please encourage him to drink more milk and eat a lot of curd. Please do not force the kid as it can lead to repulsion. The child’s calories intake should be approximately 1000 kcal. Increase the intake slowly over a period of one month. Do not force feed. Plan the meals accordingly.

|