Q. Is my pregnancy chicken pox connected in any way to my baby's rickets?

Dr. Shilpa Reddy Diggireddy

I have a baby boy who is 1 year 8 months old and his weight is only 8.4 kg (birth weight 2.6kg). Before one month, I recognized some irregularity in his walking and went for an X-ray and blood test by the recommendation of a doctor. And diagnosed that his vitamin D and calcium values are very low (vitamin D 19.9 and calcium 6.8) and also he is affected with a mild form of rickets. On the same day, started the medicine as one injection in two legs and vitamin D and calcium supplements are continuing. I was affected with chicken pox before 15 days of my delivery. Are these are connected? Anything to worry? Is it reversible? Also, I have one more doubt to ask you. My baby is not taking any food. By grating, I am giving everything as a semi-solid form by using spoon type feeding bottle. Is anything to worry regarding this? Is semisolid food is alright for him? He is not interested in any food including chocolates. Please give me the proper solution.

#

Firstly, rickets is completely reversible and nothing permanent. Your babies values are very mildly affected. So, by the course you are giving him it will be cured completely. Your pregnancy chicken pox has nothing to do with his condition presently. So do not feel guilty in any way. Coming to food issue, it is perfectly alright for your child to eat semi-solid food. Do not worry about that. Some children like the texture of the food being semisolid.

Please encourage him to drink more milk and eat a lot of curd. Please do not force the kid as it can lead to repulsion.

The child’s calories intake should be approximately 1000 kcal. Increase the intake slowly over a period of one month. Do not force feed. Plan the meals accordingly.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

My baby has loose motions and frequently vomits after a feed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-month-old baby is sick. He is not taking breastmilk but drinks a little water by spoon. He has loose motions. I have tried few medicines but he has not stopped vomiting frequently after feeding. I have tried giving antibiotics twice but it increased the loose motion and it does n...  Read Full »

Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a pro...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»