Q. My 2 weeks old baby refuses to take breastfeed. Why?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

My son, who is just 2 weeks old, is displaying worrying tendencies. He refuses to breastfeed. He cries when put to the breast. At birth, his weight was 3.77 kg. After two weeks, his weight is 3.5 kg. Should I be worried? His stool today was bit strange, a clay-colored stool was followed immediately by yellow colored stool in a single poop column. How is that possible and is it dangerous? He suffers from a cough and makes strange gnarling noises when asleep. He also makes strangling noises like he is having difficulty breathing, but on closer inspection, everything appears fine. I noticed light blue coloration on the lower lips and forehead occasionally. We are in distress. All other pediatricians dismiss these symptoms as first timer anxiety problems, but we feel that something is wrong with the baby. I had an abortion three years back and a miscarriage a year ago. He is my precious one. Please help.

#

• Crying when trying to feed might be due to nipple confusion. Do not bottle feed.
  • In first two weeks, there can be weight loss. If persistent, then give formula feeds with spoon or glass.
  • Stool can be any color. There is a need to worry only if passing bloody stools.
  • Nose block cause noisy breathe. Use normal saline drops in each nostril 20 minutes before feed and burp after each feed.
  • Blue discoloration can occur while crying. If persistent, you can get heart scanning.
  • Your doctor is correct. These are all first-time anxiety issues. Just stay relaxed and feed your baby adequately. Everything will be alright.

For further information consult a paediatrician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|