Q. My 2 weeks old baby refuses to take breastfeed. Why?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

My son, who is just 2 weeks old, is displaying worrying tendencies. He refuses to breastfeed. He cries when put to the breast. At birth, his weight was 3.77 kg. After two weeks, his weight is 3.5 kg. Should I be worried? His stool today was bit strange, a clay-colored stool was followed immediately by yellow colored stool in a single poop column. How is that possible and is it dangerous? He suffers from a cough and makes strange gnarling noises when asleep. He also makes strangling noises like he is having difficulty breathing, but on closer inspection, everything appears fine. I noticed light blue coloration on the lower lips and forehead occasionally. We are in distress. All other pediatricians dismiss these symptoms as first timer anxiety problems, but we feel that something is wrong with the baby. I had an abortion three years back and a miscarriage a year ago. He is my precious one. Please help.

#

• Crying when trying to feed might be due to nipple confusion. Do not bottle feed.
  • In first two weeks, there can be weight loss. If persistent, then give formula feeds with spoon or glass.
  • Stool can be any color. There is a need to worry only if passing bloody stools.
  • Nose block cause noisy breathe. Use normal saline drops in each nostril 20 minutes before feed and burp after each feed.
  • Blue discoloration can occur while crying. If persistent, you can get heart scanning.
  • Your doctor is correct. These are all first-time anxiety issues. Just stay relaxed and feed your baby adequately. Everything will be alright.

For further information consult a paediatrician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

How can my wife avoid passing on her eye infection to our child?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is having a red eye. We are thinking that it is spreading to the other eye too. We visited an ophthalmologist and she said that it is viral conjunctivitis. She has prescribed Gatifloxacin eye drops four to five times a day and Moxicip ointment at night. This was three days bac...  Read Full »

Can I give Babygesic drops for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby, who is 1 year old, is suffering from fever. It is 104 Fahrenheit from last one hour. Please help me.  Read Full »

My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a pro...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»