Q. My baby is taking significantly less milk than before. Should I change the formula?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

My son is 14 weeks old. His weight is 7 kg and length is 65 cm. He is formula fed since birth. I noticed that in the last month he began to take significantly less milk than before and I cannot understand why. Between 1 to 2 months of age, he used t drink around 1000 mL per day. However, between 2 to 3 months of age, he went from 1000 mL to around 850 mL. He seems agitated when he drinks, flails legs and arms; sometimes he will not suck well and just bite. Then, he will drink around 90 to 130 mL and rejects the bottle, but he will continue to suck on his hands and moan. He will grimace at the bottle and even vomit if I insist on giving the bottle.

His bowel movements are regular to around once or twice a day, yellow and soft. Sometimes, he has a bit of reflux after eating (some milk coming out), but less than before. How to fix this problem? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I change the formula?

He has gained 1 kg in the last one month, but I am concerned that he seems to drink less milk as the daily quantity keeps going down. He drinks around six times per day around 140 mL each time.

#

• I can put it across in these words. Let the child decide how much milk to drink. No forcing, please. Also, you do not need to worry at all.
  • The weight of your child is excellent. The weight of 7 kg for a 3 months old child is superb. Also, there are no other symptoms, and the child is fine.
  • Please stop worrying about this problem. Only you should watch for lethargy, refusal to feed and breathlessness as these are the negative signs to worry about the baby.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Hi again Dr,

I'm writing with the same problem that seems to have gotten worse. In the last 12 hours my baby only ate 105ml (90ml at 4am, then 15ml at 8am). Last time he ate 15ml, then stopped and sucked his hands for 1 hour and is now sleeping. Didn't cry at ant point. He keeps sucking his hands but will not take the bottle or just take it for 1-2 minutes and then stop. He seems alert and happy, almost agitated. He gets really agitated when he eats.

Is this still nothing to worry about?
# Hi Cristina !
As I said previously let the child decide. As long as the child is active and playful do not worry. Also do not try to force feed the child.

|