Q. My baby is taking significantly less milk than before. Should I change the formula?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son is 14 weeks old. His weight is 7 kg and length is 65 cm. He is formula fed since birth. I noticed that in the last month he began to take significantly less milk than before and I cannot understand why. Between 1 to 2 months of age, he used t drink around 1000 mL per day. However, between 2 to 3 months of age, he went from 1000 mL to around 850 mL. He seems agitated when he drinks, flails legs and arms; sometimes he will not suck well and just bite. Then, he will drink around 90 to 130 mL and rejects the bottle, but he will continue to suck on his hands and moan. He will grimace at the bottle and even vomit if I insist on giving the bottle.

His bowel movements are regular to around once or twice a day, yellow and soft. Sometimes, he has a bit of reflux after eating (some milk coming out), but less than before. How to fix this problem? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I change the formula?

He has gained 1 kg in the last one month, but I am concerned that he seems to drink less milk as the daily quantity keeps going down. He drinks around six times per day around 140 mL each time.

#

• I can put it across in these words. Let the child decide how much milk to drink. No forcing, please. Also, you do not need to worry at all.
  • The weight of your child is excellent. The weight of 7 kg for a 3 months old child is superb. Also, there are no other symptoms, and the child is fine.
  • Please stop worrying about this problem. Only you should watch for lethargy, refusal to feed and breathlessness as these are the negative signs to worry about the baby.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking. Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy. Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium). Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 7-month-old baby to have jerks?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify...  Read Full »

Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement? Can I take Nutrigain? Please help me,  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now