Shunt Surgery

How common is CSF leak after shunt surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister-in-law have surgery shunt in brain for hydrocephalus conditon before two weeks and she was unconcious. But now they suggest surgery for CSF leak. We are very confused what should we do? Is it possible to have CSF leak after shunt surgery? Kindly revert soon.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Patil

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for all the pain your sister in law is going through. Hydrocephalus is a difficult problem to treat. The complication which are seen your sister in law case are very common in these type of patients. I would suggest you to follow your doctors (neurosu...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary to treat fluid in brain?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister is suffering from head pain since one month. She usually have head pain when she wakes up from bed, which gradually gets alright after a while. She is taking Dynapar for pain. The reports of CT scan and MRI shows everything normal. She consulted a few doctors, some suggested...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I have gone through your sister's reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). I understand your pain for your sister. But, your doctors are guiding you in the right way. Your sister needs surgery for the same that too shunt ...  Read Full »

Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OS ASD (ostium secundum atrial septal defect) cannot be cured by medicines. Because it is diagnosed at 46 years, we need to close it. If she would be above 65 years of age, we could have left it. If we do not close it now, it will increase symptoms like breathing d...  Read Full »

Does size of perimembranous VSD matter?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby was diagnosed with 4 mm VSD during the 20th week of pregnancy. After delivery, an echocardiogram was done and our pediatric cardiologist told that my baby has large perimembranous VSD shunting bidirectionally. But did not tell us the size. My baby is 3 months old now. I wish t...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, size matters like small VSD (ventricular septal defect) do not require treatment, while large one (usually more than 6 mm of the size of the aorta) needs surgical correction only. So here it is being large and no significant gradient across it so needs surgical ...  Read Full »

Is locked-in syndrome treatable?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a locked-in syndrome patient. MRI report indicates marked hydrocephalus, diffuse cerebral and cerebellar atrophy, attenuated blood flow in the cerebral vasculature, and hypoxic encephalopathy. I cannot move or do anything but I react to pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) findings are indicative of chronic severe changes in the brain. Unfortunately, the clinical condition of locked-in syndrome is very serious and the prognosis is really reserved. In most of the cases, patients with this syndrom...  Read Full »

My mother has NPH. Should she go for CSF drainage or shunt surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My 76 year old mother was recently diagnosed with normal pressure hydrocephalus. She is having trouble walking. She can walk only three to four steps at a time. She has been having this difficulty since a month now. She is currently not on any medication for this or for any other issu...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your mother. I have seen her MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Going for lumbar puncture (LP) drainage, and then checking for a clinical improvement, before a shunt, has a better chance of determining the overall suc...  Read Full »