Q. What is an arachnoid cyst?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2021

Hello doctor,

My friend had giddiness, so he got an MRI scan. The report showed a well-defined cyst in the posterior fossa, dorsal to the cerebellum. It is an arachnoid cyst. It also states bilateral AICA lying at the level of the internal auditory canal without entering the meatus. Type 1 AICA vascular loops. I do not understand the report. Please help. Since a cyst is mentioned in the report, can it be cured by medicine? How did my friend get this cyst in the brain? And why did he get it? Is it due to drinking alcohol?

#

• Arachnoid cyst is CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) filled cyst within the brain, which is usually asymptomatic. But if the size is large, it can cause symptoms by pressure effect.
  • A cyst cannot be cured by medicine. If treatment is needed, it is by surgery only. Alcohol does not cause an arachnoid cyst in the brain.
  • AICA (anterior inferior cerebellar artery) is the name of a blood vessel, which primarily supplies blood to the cerebellum (a part of the posterior brain). There seems a vascular malformation. It means that that blood vessel (AICA) has slightly deviated from its route. It seems to be a congenital structural variation.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|