Q. Is there anything abnormal on seeing my overall health checkup report?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

I am 38 years old. I got my blood test done for an overall health checkup. I am attaching my reports. I can see my heart and cardiology reports are not good. Can you please tell me whether there is anything abnormal?

#

I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your urine examination is normal. Your uric acid level is high, for that you are advised to take more vegetables and fruits and less meat (take low proteins in diet). Liver enzymes are high that can be due to certain medications or liver infection due to some viruses such as hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Thyroid profile looks normal.

The lipid profile is also high and deranged. It can be managed through lifestyle changes (more physical activity and weight loss). Persistently elevated lipid levels are harmful to the heart and blood vessels. Low iron levels may lead to anemia, and it is also harmful to the heart and its pumping function. Other markers look fine. I would suggest you go for lifestyle changes and that too on an urgent basis. Persistence is the key to success here. It may or may not be an overnight change, but it is mandatory.

So, are my liver and heart not working correctly? I do not have hepatitis C or B. What can be the cause for having liver enzymes in a high range? What can I do for it? I take Metformin 500 mg as I am pre-diabetic. Is my heart parameter too dangerous?

#

Your heart parameters are not bad. Metformin has no role in causing liver toxicity, and it is safe. It does not raise the liver enzymes. I would suggest you visit a hepatologist for a proper evaluation of the liver and digestive system. Go for a liver ultrasound and screen for hepatitis A and E. If it is negative, we can have a follow-up and see whether the levels are decreasing with time.

I have a fatty liver. Can it be the reason for the elevated liver enzymes? Is it possible for the ultrasound to detect it? Why my liver enzymes are high?

#

We cannot say directly that fatty liver is the cause for the elevated liver enzymes. Only when all the reasons are ruled out, then we can attribute it to the fatty liver. Anything that causes injury or inflammation of the liver tissue can raise the liver enzymes. Excessive alcohol consumption can also have damaging effects on the liver that may increase the transaminases (or liver enzymes). Alcoholic damage may also lead to fatty liver.

There are other causes of fatty liver too, but they do not usually raise the liver enzymes like obesity or being overweight, type 2 diabetes and persistent high blood sugar levels (so keeping the blood sugar levels low is significant). Deranged lipid profile also causes fatty liver, especially high triglyceride levels. Sometimes, when there is an autoimmune injury to the liver, it can result in raised liver enzymes.

Ultrasound of liver may rule out any local injury to the liver including inflammatory changes and localized infection (although such infection, if present, also causes specific symptoms like vomiting and digestive system issues). Let us see what your hepatologist advise you after a physical examination. Usually, the liver enzymes get regular with time. We keep follow up every six months. You need to reduce body weight, increase physical activity, take a healthy diet, and try to maintain your blood sugar levels.

|