Q. Could my daughter's nystagmus be improved with occlusion therapy?

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

My daughter has nystagmus. I noticed and took her to the hospital when she was 1.6 years old. I feel the doctors are getting ready to start blurring her left stronger eye to strengthen her right eye. Could my daughter's nystagmus be improved with eye therapy? Her right eye is extremely weak. I am worried if this will hurt her.

#

• The occlusion therapy is necessary when there is a disparity in both the eyes for vision as well as refractive error. It is a well-proven treatment with satisfactory results.
  • There is no medication for nystagmus. If it is very debilitating, then the surgical correction for dampening or reducing its intensity can be done. However, a detailed evaluation by a pediatric eye specialist is necessary.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|