Nystagmus

How to treat nystagmus?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 21 years old. I have a problem of nystagmus from birth. Due to this, I have a problem to see far objects. Please give me some suggestions regarding the treatment of nystagmus. I have attached the prescriptions of my doctor.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your papers (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your vision is well maintained and you have a small refractive error. Nystagmus can be of various types based on its intensity and frequency. The management is decided by the intensity of nystagmus...  Read Full »

Can PVD and retinal detachment cause flashes of light in the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw brief flashes of light under my left eye thrice this week. Now suddenly, I sometimes feel the light of my room is flickering, but it is not. Is it only in my vision?  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. Flashes of light without any symptoms of eye pain or headache usually indicate the irritation of retina, which is being pulled on often by the vitreous a jelly-like substance inside the eyeball. The ophthalmologist should check out persistent f...  Read Full »

Why does my pupil move to the corner of the eyes when I try to focus in class?

Query: When I sit in class and try to focus in class , my pupils moves at corner of eyes involuntary my eyes . If try to focus to the blackboard i feel strain in my brain and feel difficulty in breathing. I am having this problem from last year. This arise when anybody is sitting around me. I used watch...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, what you have is called as stress induced nystagmus, the involuntary movement of the eyeballs when u feel conscious of people around you. It happens due to reduced levels of some neurotransmitters such as serotonin which reduce the stress handling capacity of the brain. medicines will have t...  Read Full »

An 8-year-old has nystagmus like eye movement while looking outside the car. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My 8-year-old son has nystagmus like eye movement only when he is in the car looking out the window and as soon as he looks at me, it stops.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, this is quite a common issue most children at his age develop. The eye uses several mechanisms which help to keep it steady and focused in on a target. Such mechanisms are inoperative when the person is just looking in a particular directio...  Read Full »

My kid's eyeball size is quite big.What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday we had a consultation with an eye doctor for my kid. After diagnosis the doctor said "kid's eyeball size is quite big". He also said left and right eye have  "-4" power (not cylindrical) and retina is good. He also added that, at this stage we cannot do any thing and asked ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. It seems from the history that your kid is having myopia (short sight). In myopia the eyeball size will be larger and no need to be worried about it. Since his retina is good he will do well. This is a commonly seen problem in children. This re...  Read Full »

My 3 months old baby's vision has not developed yet. Is this normal?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 3 months old now. We got her examined by an eye specialist this week, but the doctor said that her vision is not yet developed due to which she cannot see or differentiate colors. As per the doctor's examination my daughter's eyeballs, retina, etc., are fine but the lin...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What are the symptoms that the child has? Does she have nystagmus or oscillating movements of the eye? Does the child grab toys presented to her? Is the size of her eyes smaller than usual or cross-eyed or squint? Was only a routine examination done for her? Physiologica...  Read Full »

Why do I feel my entire body and the head shake from inside?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a head shake. I feel exhausted most of the time, and my legs even start to feel weak. My whole body feels vibrating from inside, and I can also feel my hands are getting weak. I have never consulted a doctor before. I am not on any medication. My height is about 1.36 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shaking head means titubation, which is a feature of cerebellar dysfunction. You should get checked for other cerebellar features like ataxia, dysmetria, nystagmus, etc. In some people, it may be congenital. As you have recent onset of symptoms, it may be acquired. Get...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for nystagmus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am blind in my left eye, and I have nystagmus in my right eye. What are the options for nystagmus?  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are multiple options available for nystagmus like medicine, surgery, etc. Nystagmus is usually bilateral, there are only few nystagmus that affects a single eye. The treatment depends on the type of nystagmus. Kindly share a video of your eye movement, so that I...  Read Full »

Why do my pupils constrict when I get nystagmus, despite being in total darkness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I suffer from very rapid up-beating and sometimes down-beating nystagmus, which exclusively occurs in the absence of visual stimulation. That is with my eyes closed and Frenzel goggles on. When the nystagmus occurs quite intensely, my eyes will bounce under my ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I would like to inform you that in vestibular migraines, there is overstimulation of sympathetic system, which is responsible for contraction of the pupil despite being in total darkness. In other words, it is a sign of sam...  Read Full »

Could my daughter's nystagmus be improved with occlusion therapy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has nystagmus. I noticed and took her to the hospital when she was 1.6 years old. I feel the doctors are getting ready to start blurring her left stronger eye to strengthen her right eye. Could my daughter's nystagmus be improved with eye therapy? Her right eye is extremely ...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The occlusion therapy is necessary when there is a disparity in both the eyes for vision as well as refractive error. It is a well-proven treatment with satisfactory results. There is no medication for nystagmus. If it is very debilitating, then the surgical correction...  Read Full »