iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)nystagmusHow to treat nystagmus?

What is the treatment of nystagmus present since birth?

What is the treatment of nystagmus present since birth?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 8, 2016
Reviewed AtMay 2, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am 21 years old. I have a problem of nystagmus from birth. Due to this, I have a problem to see far objects. Please give me some suggestions regarding the treatment of nystagmus. I have attached the prescriptions of my doctor.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

According to your papers (attachment removed to protect patient identity),your vision is well maintained and you have a small refractive error.Nystagmus can be of various types based on its intensity and frequency. The management is decided by the intensity of nystagmus in primary gaze. In case, your nystagmus is more when the eyes are in the center (primary gaze), then a small surgical procedure may be required to dampen it. However, there is no surgery or medication that can take away congenital nystagmus completely. Since your vision is well maintained, using simple glasses is advised. Still, kindly consult a neuro-ophthalmologist to actually determine your type and cause.

The Probable causes


Investigations to be done

VEP (visual evoked potential).

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan
Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy