Q. Can smoking aggravate OCD?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
Published on Sep 04, 2018

I was suffering from OCD for four years. I had taken medication Fluoxetine and Clomipramine for it. I had recently started smoking one year back and now want to quit. I just want to know that does smoking further harm OCD.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

Smoking can affect your OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). First, it can exacerbate the associated anxiety thus worsening OC symptoms. Second, it can affect the blood levels of medicines you are taking for treatment thus affecting their efficacy. The other harms of smoking are well known. So I would suggest you quit smoking.

Will it cause a relapse of OCD or further aggravate the problem if I quit?

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

No, it would not cause a relapse or aggravation of symptoms. Infact it would help to maintain your health in general. Just inform the treating psychiatrist about it so that he can make dose adjustment if needed.

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, it is normal to have hard stools after quitting smoking for that you have to add a salad, do exercise, and take enough water. It is a temporary phenomenon which usually settles in three months till intestines adapt nicotine free blood. You h...  Read Full

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity. Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting. Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux dise...  Read Full

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) you have to take medications. Less than 40 mg Fluoxetine will not be effective. So, continue the same dose. Chances of relapse are very high in OCD cases. As you are having it for six years it is better to continue the medication...  Read Full