Even after I have tested negative for HIV several times, I am afraid I have it. What should I do?

Q. Can someone get over my extreme fear of HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Sajeev Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2023 and last reviewed on: Sep 13, 2023

Hello doctor,

I have been sexually active for nine years, and about two years ago, after a sexual encounter, I started to worry about it. It happened five years ago, and my symptoms included pain, weakness, and burning in my legs, thighs, and buttocks. After the sexual encounter, I tested many times with HIV rapid test kits (about 40 kits from four different manufacturers, all from the third and fourth generations).

I also have an OCD problem during the COVID epidemic. I feared Coronavirus, but after seeing a psychiatrist, I felt better in four months. After that, I lost 8.82 Ibs of weight, and the next year, I suddenly feared it was because I had HIV, so I tested myself 40 times with HIV rapid test kits, but the results were always negative.

So, please tell me because I am dying of anxiety if these symptoms are caused by neuropathy or HIV. My HIV tests came back negative, and I am worrying if these symptoms are caused by something else, like anxiety or stress. Should I test more or do other tests? Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your query thoroughly and completely understand your concern.

First of all,stop worrying you do not have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). It seems like you have unwanted fear of HIV, and it can be a manifestation of the OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) you suffer from. I suggest you relax your mind. Do meditation and yoga that will help to reduce your anxiety. If this does not help, please get in touch with a psychological counselor and get treatment. Everything will be good soon. The probable cause for your problem is OCD. The differential diagnosis of this condition is an anxiety disorder. The probable diagnosis is OCD disorder. I suggest you do meditation, yoga, and psychological counseling to get better.

I hope my answer helps.

Take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Anxiety Chest Pain

More and more people are getting affected by anxiety as a result of deteriorating mental health, stressful lifestyle and work culture, and unhealthy food habits ...   Read full

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

My mom is diagnosed with "Idiopathic macular epiretinal membrane". Her eyesight is now 0.3 with glass. What is the pros and cons of taking correcting surgery?   Read full

Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

What would cause a burning or stinging sensation at the outlet of the urinary tract when urinating? And how to alleviate the symptoms and correct the cause? I am 77 year old male in excellent health 5'9" tall weigh 155 lbs taking only a 4mg generic flo max capsule daily.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.