Q. Do people with OCD need to continue medicines throughout their life?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Jan 25, 2018

I need your help regarding OCD disease. It looks like my fiancee is having this problem and she has been suffering a lot since last month. I am seeing sudden changes in her behavior like getting sad, no feelings, and changes in the mood so frequently. She does not want to go outside as she has a feeling that she will become dirty and this feeling is getting stronger nowadays. She does not want to live, and is trying to end all her relationships and die. I asked her to consult with a doctor but she is not at all ready. I have tried so many ways to persuade her to see a doctor but she is getting upset because of this. If you can help me regarding treatment online and some medicine then it would be a great help for me.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

In OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) drugs from SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) group such as Fluoxetine 20 mg to start then up to 80 mg or more or Fluvoxamine and psychotherapy are helpful. These drugs are prescription only drugs.

Also, you have to confirm the diagnosis of OCD, that your fiancee is suffering from it or some other psychiatric disorder. Try to convince her that this is a treatable condition and her suffering can be stopped by drugs and psychotherapy.

Hope it will help you. Regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

How long will it take to recover? She had a fear that all mind-related problems take years to recover and she will end up taking medicines throughout her life if it is started once.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

It takes around two to six weeks to show effects (drugs from SSRI group) and depending upon the response, the drug may need to be continued for two years or so.

It is not true that she will need to take it lifelong. It all depends upon the response and individual preference and side effects.

And last but not the least, if you have improved a lot and need a drug to maintain the improvement, then what is wrong in taking it? Overall, they improve the quality of life.

So do not worry excessively and unnecessarily.

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »