Q. I have been suffering from social anxiety. Is there any treatment to get rid of these problems?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 19, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 29 year old male. I have been suffering from social anxiety. Following are the consequences that I am facing through in my daily life:

I am not at all confident to talk with new persons, especially in group meetings. My heartbeat used to raise and I will forget things to be discussed. I cannot remember and pronounce properly even with the people whom I meet daily. I do not know how to react when they wish me or when they talk to me. I am trying my level best to get rid of this anxiety by facing it but once in a while, only I could handle these situations up to my expectations. Also, I have intrusive thoughts especially when I go to the temple or when I see the photographs of god, I will feel like something bad would happen to me. If I read a book and implement that in a big project also, I could not remember even the titles.

Somewhere I have read, social anxiety can cause memory loss. Recently I forgot my card pin number which I used 2 months back. My concentration power is very poor too. The other problem that I am coming through is uncontrollable daydreaming, even though if I try to keep my mind busy I will get into it unknowingly. I could not do anything to improve my career because of these problems. I am not sure whether it is any disorder or normal behavior of people. Please suggest me if I require any treatment to get rid of these problems.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and social phobia.

I can understand your concern. I have read through your history and from that, it is clearly evident that you have anxiety spectrum disorder.

The symptoms like difficulty in talking with persons, increase in heart rate, forgetting things easily, inability to pronounce things properly, difficulty in reacting to others, difficulty to talk in arguments, etc., are due to social anxiety.

The symptoms like daydreaming, poor concentration, inability to divert thoughts, etc., are due to anxiety only. The intrusive thoughts, repugnant thoughts like bad thoughts when you go to the temple, etc., are related to obsessive thoughts, and this needs proper evaluation.

Social anxiety does not cause memory loss but due to persisting distraction and lack of concentration individuals find it difficult to focus and concentrate. This will cause feelings like loss of memory. Considering your history, I would suggest you visit a psychiatrist for evaluation.

Medicines like SSRIs such as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertraline, etc., can help to reduce these symptoms and you will feel better. These medicines are free of serious side effects and are better tolerated.

Apart from medicines, relaxation exercises like yoga, progressive muscle relaxation exercises are also equally helpful in anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Is there any treatment for this? If so, what are the measures to be taken?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Following are the medications details:

  1. Tablet Sertraline 50 mg (Sertraline hydrochloride), should be taken in the evening for a week. After one week, increase your dosage to 100 mg and that should be taken for at least next 3 weeks before reevaluation. This would help to reduce your symptoms.
  2. Tablet Propranolol 20 mg (Propranolol hydrochloride) on SOS basis, can help for anxiety attacks.
  3. For poor responses, higher doses would be needed. But before taking these medications, I would like to advise you to consult a doctor for clinical evaluation.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Since my childhood I suffer from social phobia.Suggest some ayurvedic medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 65 years old and since my childhood I suffer from social phobia. In spite of trying to control myself, I am unable to keep up my confidence. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine.  Read Full »

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.