Q. I have OCD, depression and anxiety. Will Paroxetine and Ashwagandha root help?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2021

Can I take Paroxetine and Ashwagandha root? I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and depression. I am wondering if I am able to take those without a sedative side effect.

I am currently on Paroxetine 20 mg once a day.

#

Yes, Ashwagandha root is effective for depression and anxiety. Taking Ashwagandha with sedatives may aggravate the sedation and sleepiness. But clinically not been proven that taking both cause sedation. This is the complainant from a few of our patients.

Also, it may cause gastric irritation. So if you have not developed sedation and gastritis symptoms, you may take both. If you observe any side effects, please stop the drug and consult with your physician. He will examine and treat you accordingly.

Is Paroxetine a sedative? I forgot to mention that I suffer from intrusive thoughts. My stomach has been hurting for over a week. Is there anything that I can use to relieve the pain? It is not heartburn.

#

Stomach hurting means what? Is there any burning pain or spasmodic pain, or vomiting?

In case of pain due to acid, you can use tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast. In the case of spasmodic pain, you may use tablet Cyclopam (Dicyclomine Hydrochloride and Paracetamol) after food.

Yes, even though paroxetine is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), it may cause sedation in a few patients. Yes, Ashwagandha also has a mind-calming effect.

|