Q. What is the reason for OCD and fear of something bad happening?

Dr. Aneel Kumar

For the past one year without my knowledge, I have been suffering from OCD thoughts and am not able to do even small things like watching a particular movie, read a book, wear a particular shirt, etc., because of the fear of something bad might happen. For example, a few months back I wanted to watch a tv series and started, the next day morning something disappointing thing happened. Then I stopped it. Even though I wanted to start to watch, I was having this thought of fear that something bad might happen again. This happens for even small things. So I wanted to come out of these thoughts and lead a normal life. Please help me with your valuable suggestions.

#

Yes, you have an obsessive thought, especially obsessional phobias. You are relating these thoughts to something worse which might happen, during this period tray to say stop to these thoughts every time they come into your mind and ask yourself that is there anything which happened in a way the way your mind thinks or for which you are feared of. It means you are so stuck to your thoughts and developed a fear that worse might happen so better to say stop these thoughts and get yourself busy in daily activities and go for walk daily at least for 30 to 45 minutes in a day, see the response in next week. If you cannot control, then medication can be started.

| 

Claustrophobia: Fear of Confined Spaces

Article Overview: Are you afraid of being unable to escape from a small room or space? It is a type of anxiety disorder, which can be effectively managed and treated over time. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

What Is Claustrophobia? Claustrophobia is a fear of any small and closed area. Someone with claustrophobia experiences anxiety triggered due to irrational thoughts of being confined in a small enclosed space with no alternate escape route. For example, being in a room with no windows, being in a cr...  Read Article

Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative). My symptoms...  Read Full »

How can a person with OCD and an intense fear of sleep fall asleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with OCD. My OCD comes in the form of intense fear of sleep for the past five years, but it has gotten worse within the past couple of months. I am afraid the moment sleep comes, I fight this feeling until I am exhausted. How can I make peace with falling asleep a...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»