Q. I am scared of dentists, but I need to get fillings. How to proceed?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

I am terrified of dentists and needles. My front tooth is decaying. Please check the photo. There is a hole in the back and black marks on the front. Also, I need fillings to other teeth. Kindly advise me.

#

• First of all, I would like to tell you that there is nothing to be fearful about dentists. You will be given 100% care during your every visit. You have just to understand the fact that it is your oral problem, which is being corrected and co-operate for that.
  • You will be explained about what exactly the procedure would be and how it will be done. It will not be a situation where you are poked with needles straight away.
  • There is something called a numbness gel, which comes in flavors such as strawberry, orange, etc. It will be applied first, and then when an injection is poked, you get no pain at all.
  • Regarding the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your upper front tooth has decayed so much that it is gone beyond the stage of doing just a filling.
  • A root canal treatment is required for that tooth followed by a tooth colored filling over it (considering your age). And, you have to check with an x-ray for your upper left the last molar and get a normal filling for the fourth tooth from the center in the upper left region.
  • Please do not neglect to visit a dentist else you would lose your tooth in the long run. I advise you to go ahead and visit a dentist for further treatment.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|