Q. How can oily scalp and face be treated?

Dr. Payal Chauhan
Published on Apr 06, 2019

I completed my acne treatment one year ago and my skin is clear after some period of time. My scalp and face get excessively oily. So I went to another dermatologist and he says that the treatment is under weight. My weight is 55 kg. I take Isotretinoin 20 mg for four months, 10 mg for four months. So please advise me who is correct for me to treat my skin.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

What you have told is correct. To prevent relapse of acne one needs to complete a total dose of 120 mg/kg of Isotretinoin. As your weight is 55 kg you should be taking a total of 6600 mg of Isotretinoin to prevent relapse. That comes out to be 330 days of 20 mg per day of Isotretinoin. That is almost 11 months of 20 mg Isotretinoin. This dose is recommended to prevent relapse of acne.

Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne. Read Article

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Acne: Skin Care Tips and Treatment Options

Article Overview: Acne is the most common problem faced by teenagers which has a social as well as psychological impact. It is said that about 90 to 95 % of the world population would have suffered from acne at some point in their life. Acne is very common during 13 to 30 years of age. After 30 years of age, acne is considered as 'adult acne' which has strong hormonal influence. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

How Does One Develop Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit, pilo meaning hair, and sebaceous meaning oil-producing gland. These pilosebaceous glands are densely distributed over the face, neck, chest, back, shoulder, and arms. It also has a genetic component, meaning the appearance/ severi...  Read Article