Q. I was prescribed with Dronis for PCOD. Should I worry about my fertility?

My age is 20 years. I am getting irregular periods for every two months. My doctor suggested Dronis 20 mg tablet for 24 days. My weight is 37 and I did an ultrasound, the report shows PCOD. I am having mild acne on my face. Can I use Dronis 20 mg? Does it have any side-effects such as in future infertility?

#

How are you doing? Let me give you a few facts on PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).

PCOD (polycystic ovaries) is a congenital condition. I mean it is a genetically programmed, you get it from your parents. When you suddenly put on weight, this cholesterol is converted into estrogen hormone (if I may simulate, have you seen obese men developing breast and in young obese girls, who develop periods at a younger age, they all have high levels of estrogen hormone or female hormone). In your body too when fat, which is a store for tomorrow, is more than normal, this is converted to the hormone which tips the balance between FSH (from the brain) and the ovarian hormone. FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) as the name suggests stimulates follicle from the ovary, but once the follicle is big enough to ovulate, the FSH is suppressed by the same estrogen hormone from the ovary. But when the same estrogen hormone is coming from fat, the brain is confused and follicle growth stops early at a smaller follicle size and will not rupture. In the next scan, you will see all these follicles as polycystic ovaries. This is usually associated with obesity, irregular cycles, no periods for few months and later heavy periods with clots and fleshy masses, or spotting on and off, thyroid abnormality and prolactin problem indirectly. You develop that extra-pad of fat around the mid-segment of the body, especially waist, thighs and breast, no fat beyond elbow and knees. Excessive body hair growth, hair fall, a dark shade over lower half of face, acne, oily face skin, the black skin over the back of the neck, inner thighs and under the surface of the breast. May have a family history of diabetes, especially the father or his family. This will not allow ovulation to occur at a time and so you cannot get pregnant, till treated. It also increases your chances of early pregnancy abortions.

But this has a solution. Your weight has to be Weight (in kg) equal to the height (in cm) - 100. Once you reduce weight to normal range, you will not need any medicine to get periods or to get pregnant and pregnancy will be healthy. To reduce weight, no fasting, no junk food, fast foods or red meat, reduce snacks between meals. Have low calories food, high proteins, regular exercise (especially for the waist and hip area), aerobics, yoga, brisk walking, (swing your hands well), try to reduce 2 to 4 kg per month. Do not hurry on weight reduction, it will be difficult to maintain. As soon as you reduce at least 5 kg, you will see changes. Even if you are in the normal weight range, try this schedule, it will help. Your scan shows ovaries less than 10 cc (attachment removed to protect patient identity), so it does not meet the criteria of PCOD. Maybe you recently have put on some weight. Dronis (Drospirenone with Ethinylestradiol) will correct your hormonal imbalance and has no side effects. Your acne will disappear. But staying healthy with a regular workout every day is complete treatment.

|