Q. I have severe abdominal pain that is radiating to the back and shoulder. Why?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 13, 2021

I waked up this morning with severe abdominal pain. It got radiated to my back and shoulder. I have a history of reflux. I took Omeprazole for having relief. But it did not help me. I took Acetaminophen. But there is no relief. Now, my pain is dull and aggravates with movement.

#

Abdominal pain can occur due to gastrointestinal causes such as gastric or duodenal ulcers or gastritis. Gastritis occurs due to H.pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection and it gets aggravated by stress, altered diet regime, certain drugs causing increased gastric acid production or damaging stomach, alcohol intake, gastrointestinal growth with thoracic level back pain. Abdominal pain can also occur due to renal causes such as kidney stones, and urinary infections with back pain in the lumbar region. Rarely, it causes damage to the liver, pancreas, and other abdominal organs.

Kindly give a detailed history of abdominal pain. Kindly attach the investigations done previously and concomitant drugs taken. Kindly give these details to guide you further. For now, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg and its dosage can be increased to 20 to 40 mg twice daily. Acetaminophen does not work in this condition. You can take an antispasmodic like Drotaverine 40 to 80 mg or Dicyclomine 10 to 20 mg for having pain relief. Taking a CT (computed tomography) scan or USG (ultrasound) abdomen and pelvis will be ideal.

|