iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral PractitionercholecystectomyCan my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Will my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 15, 2018
Reviewed AtJuly 1, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 29 years old male, 5 feet 7 inches, 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg twice daily, Norco 10 mg (as needed), Bentyl 20 mg. For the last three days, I have been having severe abdominal pain. Similar pain as when I had gallbladder attacks. Started out as come and go thing. But all day has been constant. I had also been vomiting. At least six times today. Not able to keep any medicines down or food or liquids. For the last few hours now I have been having episodes of SVT. Not lasting longer than 20 minutes and the maximum rate was 210. However, I have been able to vagal down each time. I am currently at the normal rate but my BP is high (176/110). Can my abdominal pain throw me into SVT? I have not had an episode like this in quite a while. Usually well controlled. Mostly my concern is with the abdominal pain as this is very painful and becoming intolerable.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your symptoms are most likely a classic case of post cholesystectomy syndrome which occurs roughly after two years post cholecystectomy, like your case. This can be dealt with by dietary modification like fat-restricted diet and oral ursodeoxycholic acid if there are persisting stones. An abdominal ultrasound can identify it. Hepatitis could also be a possibility so do not take Aspirin or any NSAIDs. Antispasmodics can help with the pain. As for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia), anything can set off an attack like stress, exertion. So, in your case, the severity of the pain could be causing it. You need to get both your heart rate and blood pressure down as soon as possible. You might need injection Adenosine. Take an antispasmodic for the right quadrant pain. I understand all these medications require a prescription. Thank you and take care. Regards.

Investigations to be done

Investigations to be done are upper abdominal ultrasound.

Differential diagnosis

The differential diagnosis of acute hepatitis.

Probable diagnosis

The probable diagnosis is postcholecystectomy syndrome with supraventricular tachycardia.

Treatment plan

The treatment plan consists of prescription drugs like a beta blocker or Adenosine, antispasmodic for pain relief, Ursodeoxycholic acid if microlithiasis.

Preventive measures

Preventive measures are to avoid fatty food.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Practitioner

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy